Healthy, strong family relationships are foundational to young people’s growth, learning, and well-being.
These relationships build strong social and emotional strengths that kids use throughout their lives.
But great family relationships don’t just happen..
Welcome to My Discovery Destination!
Discovery Family Adventures
where your family can find plenty of opportunities to
The Discovery Family Adventures provide ideas, activities, and experiences to help build strong family relationships.
Our goal is to strengthen family relationships to help kids be and become their best selves
and to support parents in raising happy, successful, resilient kids in an exciting,
but sometimes turbulent and dangerous world.
Choose from the Adventures listed below
(or design your own family adventure!)
Basic First Aid
GOAL: Learn first aid so you can help people who are injured.
The ADVENTURE: Choose and complete a few of the areas listed in the Resource area
- Help each child make a homemade gift for their mentor
- Let the family members help plan a Mentor Appreciation event where they can invite their mentors/mentees
√ Discuss injuries that may require first aid attention:
- Scratches, scrapes and cuts
- Wasp stings
- Allergic reactions
√ Learn basic first aid concepts
When someone is hurt, it’s best to find an adult who can help. But when adults are not available, the children may need to take care of it themselves. Teach them the following steps to treat simple wounds:
- Find an adult, if available.
- For wounds: CLEAN the wound, APPLY pressure (to stop bleeding), antibiotic ointment, a bandage.
- For burns: put honey on the burn. Run cold water over the burn.
- Burns, bruises and insect bites: applying ice can help relieve the pain, swelling, and itching.
- Here are some websites to check out: 7 Life-saving Skills, Important First Aid Skills, Emergency First Aid,
√ Role-play potential situations where first aid may be needed and let everyone practice.
√ Have a nurse or other qualified professional teach your family more advanced first aid skills like CPR.
√ Discuss alternative options for basic first aid such as using alcohol to clean wounds, a bandana as a sling, other types of tape in place of first aid tape, or using clean clothing to cover the wound.√ Discuss how to get help in an emergency.
- When and how do you call 911 ?
- Make sure everyone knows your home address.
- Identify neighbors family members could go to in an emergency.
- Identify other trusted adults to call or contact in the event of an emergency.
Take a picture of your family learning and practicing first aid and post it to social media with the hashtags #savelives
by Handling Emergencies
Check back often as we will post new Adventures every week
Not sure how the Discovery Family Program works?
Discovery Family Program How-To Visual
My Discovery Destination! Adventures
Sponsored by My Discovery Destination! and local businesses and organizations in your community
for the purpose of
STRENGTHENING FAMILIES and BUILDING CHARACTER.