Healthy, strong family relationships are foundational to young people’s growth, learning, and well-being.
These relationships build strong social and emotional strengths that kids use throughout their lives.
But great family relationships don’t just happen..
Welcome to My Discovery Destination!
Discovery Family Adventures
where your family can find plenty of opportunities to
The Discovery Family Adventures provide ideas, activities, and experiences to help build strong family relationships.
Our goal is to strengthen family relationships to help kids be and become their best selves
and to support parents in raising happy, successful, resilient kids in an exciting,
but sometimes turbulent and dangerous world.
Choose from the Adventures listed below
(or design your own family adventure!)
Move More Month
GOAL: Be active and healthy
The ADVENTURE: Take a few minutes every day to get some exercise in.
Extra time before bed
Extra time to do MORE moves and active playing. Encourage kids to be active. Try to avoid shutting down kids 'active' play unless absolutely necessary (like for bedtime and nap time, and bedtime and nap time, and I guess dinner time, too.)
A healthy snack - maybe a favorite piece of fruit or gogurt
Pull out a favorite towel that they will use ONLY when they are doing their MOVES (whether the official moves or at other active times throughout the day).
For little kids you could have a special SUPER HERO cape they get to wear for an hour or so after they do their exercises. This can be as simple as a towel with a super hero sign pinned on. The point is to recognize that they did their moves!
If the budget allows you could buy some special shoes or workout clothes for them to wear while doing their moves.
Play your favorite music during each activity to add an extra level of energy.
HERE ARE YOUR MOVES!
Day 1: Hold tree pose for 30 seconds (5X).
Day 2: Dance to your favorite music for 3 minutes (3X). Let your kids choose the songs.
Day 3: Complete 20 squats (3X).
Day 4: Hold warrior pose for 30 seconds (5X).
Day 5: Little Peekers (10X). Push-ups: Strengthens arms, shoulders, and chest.
- Start on your hands and knees – hands under shoulder and knees under hips.
- Slowly bend your arms lowering your body, face and chest towards the floor to peek under the tree.
- Slowly straighten arms keeping stomach muscles tight to protect back.
Day 6: Checking the chimney (30 seconds). Climb an imaginary ladder: Improves cardiovascular fitness and strengthens coordination and balance.
- Stand with feet shoulder width apart.
- Move arms and legs as if you were climbing a ladder – keep stomach muscles tight and upper body tall.
Day 7: Complete 20 jumping jacks (3X).
Day 8: Snowman walk (20 seconds 2X).
Start with narrow wide marches.
Walk with feet shoulder width apart, moving arms back and forth (elbows bent). Continue for 10 seconds.
Move feet wider apart, knees slightly bent and continue to walk for 10 seconds.
Day 9: Reach for the night stars (triangle pose, 5X).
Day 10: Do the candy cane in cocoa twist (10X).
Do the twist. This strengthens legs and core muscles and improves circulation.
- Stand with feet shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent and arms out to the side (parallel to the floor).
- Twist upper body to the left, lower body to the right, and reverse in a continuous motion – Keep stomach muscles tight and upper body tall.
- Slowly twist down to the floor by slowly bending your knees while twisting upper and lower body.
- Slowly rise up by straightening your knees while continuing to twist upper and lower body.
Day 11: Chair pose for 30 seconds (5X).
Day 12: Popcorn pop (30 seconds).
- Crouch down into a little popcorn kernel, head tucked in towards the chest and arms folded across the front of the body.
- Start jumping on the spot.
- Continue jumping as the kernel gets bigger and bigger (standing up).
Take a picture of your family doing your 12 Days of Fitness activities and post to your social media sites with the hashtags #DiscoveryFamily and #12DaysofFitness
by Family Fitness
Check back often as we will post new Adventures every week
Not sure how the Discovery Family Program works?
Discovery Family Program How-To Visual
My Discovery Destination! Adventures
Sponsored by My Discovery Destination! and local businesses and organizations in your community
for the purpose of
STRENGTHENING FAMILIES and BUILDING CHARACTER.