Healthy, strong family relationships are foundational to young people’s growth, learning, and well-being.
These relationships build strong social and emotional strengths that kids use throughout their lives.
But great family relationships don’t just happen.
Welcome to My Discovery Destination!
Discovery Family Adventures
where your family can find plenty of opportunities to
The Discovery Family Adventures provide ideas, activities, and experiences to help build strong family relationships.
Our goal is to strengthen family relationships to help kids be and become their best selves
and to support parents in raising happy, successful, resilient kids in an exciting,
but sometimes turbulent and dangerous world.
Choose from the Adventures listed below
(or design your own family adventure!)
Getting to Know Each Other
Goal: Help family members get to know each other, and create a written record of each family members life.
The Adventure: Grab pen and paper or your favorite electronic device and begin typing away. Record your story.
Bind each child's story and put it somewhere that everyone can see it and enjoy it.
Take time to really look at each child's work, ask them about it, laugh with them about the funny things and validate the sad things. Try to really understand the experience of your child's life that they have recorded.
When an opportunity arises, take time to refer back to your child's writings in positive ways. This will show that you really listened and that you heard what was said. There may be appropriate times to refer to the sad things they record as well-- you want to teach them to embrace all of life, both the good and the sad, rather than sweep the sad under the carpet. However, be extra careful to avoid using the information from their writings in a way that will be viewed by them as 'negative' and make them regret sharing it.
Be sure to validate each child's experiences - good and bad.
WRITE YOUR STORY
We all have a story to tell. National Write Your Story Day is observed every year on March 14th, but you can write your story any time.
This Adventure challenges you to tell your story in written form.
You may think to yourself, “There’s nothing in my life to tell.” It will surprise you once you put pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard and the words start filling the pages. Words have a way of triggering memories. They form a moment in time, and before you know it, there’s a story flowing from your fingertips. Even if you never share your tale, it can be an essence of who you are and where you’ve been.
Trips down memory lane or recreating the moment when a spark of inspiration occurred, are more intriguing than you know, and they are treasures to family and loved ones. So . . . get started telling your personal stories today. There’s a story worth recounting in there somewhere!
Here are some ideas for getting started:
- Enjoy a fun Time Capsule Adventure. Right now we are all living through history. The Covid-19 quarantines and widespread shutdowns is something our children will tell stories about to their children and grandchildren in years to come. Help your children record what they are experiencing so that when they look back on it they have an accurate record of this time and how exactly what it was like, how they felt, the challenges and the fun times! A huge 'THANK YOU' to Natalie Long of Long Creations for helping us all document this experience with these fun time capsule pages!
- Parents: Block your life into decades or logical blocks
- Write about your first date
- Tell us about your childhood
- Tell us about your high school years
- What is your favorite memory?
- What is your favorite holiday and how did you celebrate?
- Tell us about the day each child was born.
- What is your favorite subject?
- What is your favorite memory?
- What is the very first memory you have?
- What are you really good at?
- What would you like to get better at?
- What is your most embarrassing moment?
- Who is your best friend? What is your favorite thing to do
These are just a few to get you started. Take some time as a family to brainstorm more questions. Kids, what do you want to ask your parents? Parents-- what do you want to ask your kids?
Ready to take this Adventure to the next level?
Make a commitment to add to your story on a regular basis. Whether it's weekly, monthly or a few times a year, it counts! Make a plan . . . make a commitment . . . make it happen!
by Write Your Story
Check back often as we will post new Adventures every week
Not sure how the Discovery Family Program works?
Discovery Family Program How-To Visual
My Discovery Destination! Adventures
Sponsored by My Discovery Destination! and local businesses and organizations in your community
for the purpose of
STRENGTHENING FAMILIES and BUILDING CHARACTER.